* 1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled
* 2 tbs cumin
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 2 tbs olive oil
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
* 1 tbs salt
* 1/4 tsp oregano
* 4 cups canned white hominy
* 3-5 cups pork broth, from cooking pork shoulder
1. Prepare the onion, peel the garlic, chop the onion, peel and chop the 2 garlic cloves, drain and rinse hominy.
2. Place the meat in a large saucepan and cover with lightly salted water.
3. Add 1/2 chopped onion, the 2 cloves peeled garlic, black pepper, cumin, and oregano.
4. Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Remove meat and broth, reserving both.
6. Saute the remaining chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent.
7. Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute.
8. Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan.
9. Stir in the canned hominy, pork broth.
10. Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the meat and hominy are tender.
11. If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the onions are well blended into the broth.
12. Garnishes:lots of lime/lemon wedges, sliced radishes, chopped cilantro, shredded cabbage, corn tortillas.